Thursday, March 27, 2014

Back to Analog


















Since I am now working full time with Sarah, I have had time to do things that I forgot I loved. Yesterday I spent about 3 hours in our basement in the dark, however creepy that may sound, it was nice to get back to pure analog, no batteries, no computers, just film, paper, and developer.

I had rolls of film that were over one year old that I hadn't developed yet, or even remembered how to. After gathering all my chemicals (and stealing tupperware from the kitchen) I looked up my development times and locked myself downstairs.

I carefully measured my developer and fixer, memorized the times, and then proceeded to sit in the bathtub for the next hour... After nervously turning on the lights, I saw my success, my film developed correctly. I hung it up to dry and went to bed.





















Yesterday I spent my work day attempting to get a usable image out of my now dry film. After blowing a fuse and having to rewire my antique enlarger with a lamp wiring kit, I was ready to attempt developing and enlarging my film (something I hadn't done in 10 years) I quickly remembered that the difference in 3 seconds and 7 seconds is enormous in photography talk. After 3 failed attempts at getting the proper exposure, I settled on 4 seconds for the exposure time, 1.25 minutes for the developing time, and I fixed it for about 5 minutes and rinsed.



This has to be the most rewarding part of this whole process. Going from a strictly mechanical camera built of metal, springs, and gears - developing the film - now finally enlarging it and getting a usable image. While it is much cheaper and easier to shoot digital, this whole process really makes me stop and take my time, rather than just firing off 7 frames a second and instantly seeing my results. This is much more rewarding.

I am so thankful that God has allowed me to stay home and work with my wife and little man every day. I hope that through my photography I can show just a tiny piece of how beautiful God's creation and his people really are.





No comments:

Post a Comment